Anthony Joshua eyes July return as Tyson Fury update emerges via Eddie Hearn
Anthony Joshua is working towards a return to boxing after a challenging end to 2025, marked by both controversy and personal tragedy.
In December of that year, he faced Jake Paul in a bout that drew widespread attention.
The fight ended with Joshua breaking Paul’s jaw and delivering a knockout, which had been expected to boost his standing heading into the new year.
However, Joshua was later involved in a car accident that resulted in the deaths of two teammates and deeply affected him.
Eddie Hearn says Anthony Joshua is eyeing a July return to boxing
After the incident, it was unclear if the 36-year-old would return to boxing or step away from the sport for good.
At first, a family member said ‘AJ’ had told his relatives he would not fight again, but since then, he appears to have reconsidered.
There has been talk of a Joshua vs Tyson Fury fight for years now. After Joshua’s win over Paul, there was hope it could finally happen in early 2026.
However, Fury lined up a different opponent for his next bout – Arslanbek Makhmudov – set for April 11th.
In light of that development, Eddie Hearn recently told Boxing Scene that Joshua is now working towards a summer return.
The boxing promoter stated: “Originally the plan with AJ was for him to fight in March and then fight Tyson Fury in August.
“That’s not happening. He’s not fighting Tyson Fury next. He’s going to come back, I believe, in late summer, but physically he’s not yet in a position to return to camp.
“So, I’m planning, but he’s resting and preparing. So for me, I’m looking at options to get him back in the ring in July time, but we’ll only know if that’s a real possibility when he returns to camp, which will hopefully be in the next couple of weeks or a month.”
Eddie Hearn leaves door open for Joshua vs Fury later in 2026 or 2027
Even though the Fury fight is not next on the cards for Joshua, Hearn has made it clear that they have not closed the door on it entirely.
“I think we’re open to the Tyson Fury fight, but probably that’s more likely end of the year – maybe early 2027,” he said.
Read more:
Revealed: When Inter Milan Could Have Argentina Superstar Back From Injury
Inter Milan may be without captain and talismanic forward Lautaro Martinez for over a month, after the club confirmed the extent of his injury.
According to what has been reported by Sky Sport, via FCInterNews, Lautaro will miss over a month and not be back before the end of the March.
Therefore, not only will the Argentine miss Saturday’s trip to Lecce, but the second leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off.
Additionally, the Argentine forward will miss a number of other key games across the next month.
Inter Milan Fresh Blow As Lautaro Martinez Misses A Month
MILAN, ITALY – JANUARY 23: Lautaro Martinez of FC Internazionale Milano looks on during the Serie A match between FC Internazionale and Pisa SC at Giuseppe Meazza Stadium on January 23, 2026 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)
Inter would have wanted their star man leading the attack in their upcoming midweek clash.
After losing 3-1 in Norway to Bodo/Glimt, Inter must overturn their two-goal deficit if they want to qualify for the Round of 16 in the Champions League.
Instead of Lautaro, head coach Cristian Chivu will have to turn to his other talented attackers instead.
Fortunately, the Romanian has the likes of Marcus Thuram, Ange-Yoan Bonny and Francesco Pio Esposito in his ranks to replace the injured Argentine.
'Emotional' Mourinho should apologise - McCarthy
Former South Africa striker Benni McCarthy says Jose Mourinho should apologise for his "very wrong" comments after the alleged racial abuse of Real Madrid winger Vinicius Jr.
The Brazil forward scored the only goal in Real Madrid's 1-0 Champions League win against Benfica on Tuesday.
Vinicius was booked for his goal celebration and the match was halted for 10 minutes shortly afterwards when the Brazilian reported alleged racist abuse from winger Gianluca Prestianni.
Uefa have since opened an investigation into the claims, which Prestianni denies.
Speaking after the match, Benfica boss Mourinho - who was sent off late in the game for arguing with the referee - said Vinicius had been "disrespectful" with his goal celebration and pointed to the club's legendary striker Eusebio as proof that Benfica is not a racist club.
But McCarthy, who won the Champions League under Mourinho at Porto in 2004, says the Portuguese made a "mistake" with his comments.
"The situation, he could have handled it better or chosen his words better but emotions got the best of him," McCarthy told BBC World Service presenter Isaac Fanin.
"I know the statement he made was very wrong. But we're all human, we all make mistakes.
"When it comes from somebody I know personally and I know how he feels about our continent and our people and the players that play for him, he's the most stand-up guy that any African player will ever play for.
"I think it was an emotional decision, tough, where he maybe made a call and it wasn't the right call which he will later, hopefully come out and say that he made a mistake because that's what I would like to think, that's the kind of man he is."
Vinicius, who has been a victim of numerous incidents of racist abuse during his playing career, later said in a post on Instagram: "Racists are, above all, cowards."
Benfica have defended Prestianni and claim there is a "defamation campaign" against the Argentine.
Prestianni, who could face a minimum 10-match ban from European competition if found guilty, denied directing racial abuse at Vinicius.
'People aren't open to talking about it'
On Thursday, Chelsea head coach Liam Rosenior said there must be a zero-tolerance policy applied to anyone found guilty of racist behaviour in football.
He said: "If any player, any coach or any manager is found guilty of racism, they shouldn't be in the game. It's as simple as that."
The former Hull City boss added that the problems were not confined to football and that racism is a problem across society.
"A lot of things (need to change), this is a very complex situation when you speak about race or gender. There are a lot of things that need to change in society," said Rosenior.
"It sickens me to be honest. I think there's a wider debate than football. I think there needs to be more accountability for these things that need to be stamped out.
McCarthy agrees that the problem of racism extends far beyond football.
"In society today, people aren't open to talking about it. We still don't have these conversations," he said.
"There's one race that wants to have this conversation and the other race isn't ready. In anger, you can come out with a phrase like that but you're quick to say I'm not a racist.
"Yet you use the underlying racist thing when you're angry. For this problem to go away, both parties and both races have to be willing to talk about these things."
- Vinicius: Eight years at Real Madrid, 20 cases of alleged racist abuse
- Real Madrid tie halted over Vinicius racism allegation
- 'Anyone found guilty of racism should not be in the game'
- Latest Champions League table
- Champions League scores & fixtures
- Follow the latest Champions League news
Watch highlights of every Champions League game from 22:00 on Wednesday on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app.
There will also be a Champions League Match of the Day on BBC One on Wednesday, from 22:40 to 00:00.
Stones interview and 1976 cup triumph in focus for Newcastle programme
John Stones is the main interview in Saturday’s matchday programme while there’s also a spotlight on the 50th anniversary of our League Cup victory.
City v Newcastle: Kick-off time, team news and TV information
Stones talks about how he’s striving to win yet more silverware to add to his bursting trophy cabinet and how living in the moment is one of the key drivers for success.
The classy centre-half discusses his battle for fitness over the past couple of seasons and how he wants to be an inspiration for the younger, newer members of the squad like Vincent Kompany, Fernandinho and David Silva were for him.
As well as that fascinating chat with the hugely-likeable defender, we have another ‘Big Feature’ and in his issue it spotlights our 1976 League Cup final triumph where we beat this weekend’s opponents 2-1 at Wembley.
We look back at that memorable day from 50 years ago in the capital through the eyes of goalscorer Peter Barnes and Dennis Tueart.
Meanwhile, continuing the 1976 theme, our ‘Back Beat’ photo rewind is a wonderful image of Barnes celebrating his opening goal that afternoon.
Winter window recruit Marc Guéhi is our cover star for the 20:00 (UK) kick-off.
There’s a wealth of other great content within the 84 pages.
There are the usual favourites like Pep Guardiola’s manager notes, our ‘In the City’ news spreads and Mike Summerbee’s ‘Buzzer’ column.
Gary James brings us ‘Five, 15, 50’ focusing on seasonal highlights from those specific years while Matchday Live commentator Alistair Mann pens his latest ‘Last Mann Standing’ column.
There’s also the usual focus on what’s happening across our other teams - EDS, Under-18s and Women’s and we go in depth on our visitors, Newcastle.
Make sure you get your hands on the official matchday programme, which costs £4, because it really is the perfect way to get you in the mood for the big game.
As well as being available for purchase at the ground, supporters who may not be able to attend the game can also order it online.
What’s more, fans will also be able to order a programme subscription for the second half of the season.
Blue Jays get great Shane Bieber injury news
Blue Jays get great Shane Bieber injury news originally appeared on The Sporting News. Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
The Toronto Blue Jays traded for Shane Bieber for last season's stretch run and didn't know if they'd have him beyond then.
But then he rejoined forces with the Blue Jays in the offseason to try running it back and seeing if they can get over the hump of an extra innings Game 7 World Series loss.
It may not be easy, but Bieber could be a big part of the journey.
If he can get healthy, that is.
Bieber got a good bill of health from manager John Schneider on Thursday, via a story from MLB.com's Keegan Matheson.
“Biebs isn’t that far behind. Biebs is throwing and feeling good. He’s out to 120 feet,” Schneider said. “Hopefully in the next week to two weeks, he’ll be getting off the mound and starting his progression. There are options coming, too.”
Bieber warned a week ago when he spoke to reporters that he'd be taking it "slow and smart."
The regular season is a little more than a month away.
MORE: There's one question Pirates phenom Konnor Griffin needs to answer
Bieber also has the matter of coming off a couple of shortened seasons to consider when making a plan for him going forward.
He only made two starts in 2024 before Tommy John surgery, and he didn't return until the summer in 2025 as he recovered from that injury.
The Blue Jays may not want to rush him back anyway, given that it might be tough for him to get to 200 innings for a full season after that recent injury history.
But any bit of Bieber is better than no Bieber for the Blue Jays, and he's moving in the right direction.
More MLB news:
- Team USA has a finalized WBC roster and an awesome lineup
- Dominican Republic WBC roster is loaded with stars
- An Edwin Diaz nightmare looms for the Mets
- Buster Posey will change Hall of Fame voting forever
- How Jose Ramirez is on pace to become Cleveland's Derek Jeter
- Yankees have signed a catcher from the country of Hungary