Article

Steph Curry vows to compete in NBA 3-Point Contest next year — and more

Steph Curry vows to compete in NBA 3-Point Contest next year

Curry has won the event twice before.

Saga of the Silkmen: calm before the storm in Macclesfield as Brentford await

After Macclesfield’s FA Cup giantkilling, the quiet Cheshire town remains suitably unassuming in the spotlight after years of heartbreak

Along the passenger bridge at Macclesfield railway station, a frieze celebrates the town’s history. Towards the far platform it reads “1874, Macclesfield Town established”. The next entry is “1979, Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures released”. Local humour has it that for 105 years nothing happened in Macclesfield. “Macc’s Macc,” say those who know of a place where change is for ever slow, many Maxonians happy enough with that.

The town, in the east of Cheshire, a gateway to England’s north-west, is a classic northern mill town, though silk was the product not cotton. It once would have been described as a bustling market town until falling victim to the nationwide death of the high street, its Marks & Spencer branch boarded up in disuse and footfall low. That said, the outdoor Treacle Market, selling artisan foods and trinkets, held on the last Sunday of each month, claims to be the region’s “biggest monthly event”.

Continue reading...

Former Blue names Chelsea’s “most improved” player under Liam Rosenior so far

Former Blue names Chelsea’s “most improved” player under Liam Rosenior so far
Former Blue names Chelsea’s “most improved” player under Liam Rosenior so far

Former Chelsea defender Jason Cundy believes that Joao Pedro is the ‘most improved’ player under Liam Rosenior so far.

I don’t think there would be many who would disagree with that statement either, even if quite a few of the players have improved a lot under the new Chelsea head coach.

EXCLUSIVE! Two more NEW names added to Chelsea summer list of targets – One from Wolves and one from Atletico Madrid!! 👀

Pedro has truly been on fire in the last few weeks, leading the line superbly and coming up with some very important goals too.

Chelsea paid £60 million to sign the 24-year-old from Brighton last summer and Pedro has gone on to bag 13 goals already this season. The striker has four goals and four assists in his last five Premier League outings and is really stepping up as the main man up top for Rosenior right now.

Blues boss has improved him

Joao Pedro scored his lovely chip against Leeds. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Speaking on talkSPORT, Cundy admitted that he had not expected to see the striker’s growth so quickly since the turn of the year.

Cundy said: “I think he’s probably been the most improved. I genuinely feel that his game has developed since Liam has come in. I don’t know whether that’s down to Liam or if it just coincides with Joao Pedro learning how to play that role better. His hold-up play is something I feel that he didn’t quite have because that’s a hard role.

“The number nine up front on your own, that’s a tough job. Players are now trusting him. When that ball goes in, it bounces off… like Frank Lampard used to do with Didier Drogba. That ball goes in, he knows it’s sticking and will time his run. There’s an element of that going on, we look far more fluid. At the moment, Chelsea’s best number nine is Joao Pedro and I wouldn’t have said three months ago that he would be this player. Hats off, he’s really developed. And he runs in behind as well!”

In other news today

Chelsea have reportedly laid down the most groundwork alongside Liverpool to try and sign Nottingham Forest centre back Murillo in the summer transfer window, with the defender now looking to leave his club.

Chelsea also have been linked with Juventus defender Gleison Bremer. His stats are great, but at his age and price it’s just not a deal we can see happening.

Padres players want A.J. Preller in San Diego, he wants to be there, too

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 22: Manny Machado #13 of the San Diego Padres and San Diego Padres President of Baseball Operations and General Manager A.J. Preller celebrates in the clubhouse after the game against Milwaukee Brewers after earning a Wild Card berth in the MLB playoffs Petco Park on September 22, 2025 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Matt Thomas/San Diego Padres/Getty Images) | Getty Images

Speculation about a contract extension for San Diego Padres President of Baseball Operations and General Manager A.J. Preller has been persistent this offseason. Multiple reports have stated that a deal between Preller and the Padres would be forthcoming but to this point nothing is done as of the team’s first full squad workout of Spring Training, Sunday.

Preller is entering the final year of his contract, making him a “lame duck” general manager. Questions about his future with the organization are to be expected but so far remain unanswered. Padres CEO Erik Greupner spoke with Ben Higgins and Steven Woods of “Ben and Woods” on 97.3 The Fan in October of 2025 about an extension for Preller.

“It’s always been the plan that the discussions around an extension for A.J. would take place at the beginning of the offseason as part of our review and evaluation,” Greupner said. “So those discussions have begun and we’re optimistic that A.J. will be our president of baseball operations past 2026.”

Now that February has arrived, Spring Training has begun and Preller still does not have a contract extension, the questions about his future with the team are becoming more prevalent and players are being asked for their thoughts on the situation. Manny Machado, who Preller brought to San Diego as a free agent in 2019, praised Preller and the work he has done with the Padres, adding his lack of an extension is “weird.”

“Yeah, it’s kind of weird,” Machado said. “They’ve been saying they’ve been working on it. Obviously, there’s a lot going on right now with the organization, but I think they’ll figure it out. At the end of the day, we all know the value of A.J. in this organization.”

It certainly cannot hurt Preller’s case for an extension if one of the locker room leaders who is connected to the team for the foreseeable future speaks on his behalf. To Preller’s credit, according to a social media post from Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune, when Preller was asked about Machado’s comments he said, “You give out a $300 million contract, usually you get those kinds of comments.”

Preller had the backing of another prominent player well before the media scrums on Sunday. Michael King who re-signed with the Padres in the offseason after testing the free agent market credited Preller for his desire to return to San Diego.

“I’d say the main reason I signed back here was because of Preller,” King said at Padres FanFest in January. “Knowing him as a GM, I know he is going to put a winning team out there every time I’m a part of this contract. I wanted to win throughout the duration of it, and I have the trust in him to do that.”

Machado had similar sentiments to King about Preller and his ability to put together a roster, and for good reason. Preller has been the architect of the most successful run in franchise history, which has included trips to the playoffs in four of the last six seasons.

“We do what we can with the team and he does his best,” Machado said. “Obviously, it’s been successful the last two years with what we’ve had to navigate. This year is nothing different.

“He’s made three moves (Saturday) in a matter of 24 hours and made our team drastically better and he’s going to continue to do that,” Machado added.

Preller has been one of the most active and aggressive general managers in baseball during his time in San Diego. He has shown a willingness to trade from the roster and the minor league system to acquire current players like Fernando Tatis Jr., Joe Musgrove, Yu Darvish, Jason Adam, Jake Cronenworth and more recently Mason Miller. He traded for players who have left the organization like Blake Snell, Juan Soto, Josh Hader, Dylan Cease and Luis Arraez. Not all the trades have gone in favor of San Diego, but each one has kept the Padres in the discussion of a team competing for a World Series championship.

“I think we all know that and we all have faith in him and know that he’s gonna want the best for this organization, the best for this team and he’s gonna try to put the best team out there to go out there and give us the best opportunity to win a championship,” Machado said Sunday.

Preller has also spent money, and this is an area where the part of the fanbase that was not upset about trading away prospects and potential, tends to stand up and make its voice heard. Preller initially signed Machado and then extended him for 11 years at $350 million, keeping him with the team until 2033. Preller extended Tatis Jr. on a 14-year $340 million deal in 2021 and Cronenworth on a seven-year, $80 million deal in April of 2023. Preller extended Jackson Merrill in 2025 with a nine-year, $135 million deal and gave shortstop Xander Bogaerts $280 million over 11 years in free agency in 2023.

Not all these contracts looked good at the time they were given out and some still do not look very good today. However, this offseason has shown the cost for star-level major league players is climbing rapidly and the contracts like the ones given to Cronenworth or Bogaerts may look better from one year to the next moving forward.

The farm system is depleted because of multiple trades over the past couple of seasons, but Preller has shown the ability to scout, identify and acquire talent that allows him to continue to make deadline deals year after year.

Depending on what you read or hear, the San Diego fanbase seems divided about Preller’s future with the Padres. He has his supporters and he has people who would happily pack his bags if it meant he could leave town faster. Preller has said he wants to be in San Diego, and the players seem to want him, too. Sooner or later a deal for Preller needs to get done and if it is not with the Padres, there is little doubt another team would not jump at the chance to bring him into their organization.

In brief

No. 25 Washington Women’s Basketball Defeats Oregon, 51-43 - University of Washington Athletics No. 25 Washington Women’s Basketball Defeats Oregon, 51-43 University of Washington Athletics

Chet Holmgren stays 'in the moment' during NBA All-Star Game debut OKC Thunder forward Chet Holmgren made his first NBA All-Star Game appearance on Sunday, and he helped his team win a tournament title.

Macclesfield vs Brentford – Match preview and team news The Leasing.com Stadium hosts a historic FA Cup encounter on Monday night as National League North side Macclesfield look to claim another high-profile scalp against Premier League high-flyers Brentfo...

Future of athletics track secured with £164k - Yahoo Sports Canada Future of athletics track secured with £164k Yahoo Sports Canada