sports

Evan Engram says limited targets with Broncos were 'out of my control'

After signing a two-year, $23 million contract with the Denver Broncos last year, veteran tight end Evan Engram had an underwhelming first season in orange and blue.

Engram, 31, totaled 50 receptions for 461 yards and one touchdown in 16 games. That marked the worst production of his career in a season in which he played at least 16 games.

After the season wrapped up, Engram was asked by the Denver Post's Luca Evans about the role he had in 2025.

“I mean, a lot of the stuff that was different was out of my control," Engram told Evans. "I can only do the most with the opportunities I get. There were times where I had opportunities, there were times where they were a little slim. ... There were some tough moments in there.

"I felt like I wanted to always contribute more — every week I wanted to contribute to the team — but a lot of that stuff is out of my control. I kind of had to stop trying to figure out what that was and just focus on what I was asked to do."

Broncos quarterback Bo Nix targeted Engram 76 times last fall, which marked the tight end's lowest target total in a 16- or 17-game season of his career. Denver would save $6.47 million in net salary cap space if Engram is designated as a post-June 1 release this offseason, so there's no guarantee he'll be back for the 2026 season.

If he does return, Engram would undoubtedly like to be more involved in the offense going forward.

Social: Follow Broncos Wire on Facebook and Twitter/XDid you knowThese 25 celebrities are Broncos fans.

This article originally appeared on Broncos Wire: Denver Broncos: Evan Engram says limited role out of his control

Read full story at Yahoo Sport →